Welcome to Travelbug, New Zealand's online travel site. The Travelbug website (Website)
is owned and operated by Trade Me Limited (Trade Me). By using the Website or the
Services, you accept these terms and conditions. If you do not accept them, you
must refrain from using the Website or the Services.
Terms and conditions
- These are the terms and conditions on which Trade Me offers you access to the Website
and accommodation, product and service search and booking services (the Services).
- These terms and conditions may be amended in whole or in part by Trade Me at any
time at its discretion. Amendments will be effective immediately upon posting of
the amended terms and conditions on this Website. You are responsible for ensuring
you are familiar with the latest terms and conditions. Your continued use of the
Website or the Services represents your agreement to be bound by the amended terms
and conditions. These terms and conditions were last updated on 09 October 2013.
Your use of the Travelbug site
- You may only use Travelbug if you can form a legally binding contract that is enforceable
against you. You must be at least 18 years old.
- You agree to provide complete, accurate and current personal information when booking
- Trade Me reserves the right at its discretion to decline to provide you with the
Services at any time without entering further discussions with you. Any such termination
shall not affect any right or remedy to which Trade Me may be entitled.
- Trade Me will send you emails relating to your transactions and other activities
on the Website.
- Trade Me may also send regular electronic newsletters to Travelbug users. Newsletters
will contain clear and obvious instructions for how you can unsubscribe from the
- Trade Me provides the Website for you to find and book accommodation directly with
accommodation operators (Operators). As part of the Services, Trade Me staff may
also help you over the phone to make bookings on the Website, including by entering
into the Website on your behalf the information required for you to make a booking
(Helpline). You agree to use the Website and the Services for this purpose only.
- When you make a booking (whether yourself on the Website or via the Helpline) and
it is confirmed to you, you form a binding contract directly with the Operator.
You must only make a booking that you intend to use and pay for. You must not use
the Website or Helpline to make speculative, false or fraudulent bookings.
- Trade Me is not a party to any agreement or transaction between you and an Operator,
including any booking for accommodation or other products or services made using
the Website or Helpline. Accordingly, you agree not to involve, or attempt to involve,
Trade Me in any dispute or in the resolution of disputes that may arise between
you and an Operator as a result of the Services provided. The inclusion on the Website
of any third party material or a link to a third party website does not mean Trade
Me endorses or approves that third party or the third party material.
- Each Operator maintains and updates its own information on the Website through the
BookIt system. Trade Me takes steps to ensure that information displayed on the
Website is accurate and complete, but does not guarantee that information on the
Website is free from errors or omissions and does not accept liability for any errors
or omissions. Trade Me reserves the right to alter information published on the
Website if Trade Me considers it incorrect or misleading.
- Trade Me is not responsible or liable for any unavailability of accommodation, products
or services that an Operator indicates on the Website is or are available.
- The Services and all information and materials on the Website are provided "as is"
and Trade Me does not give any warranties of any kind, whether express or implied.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, all representations and warranties (statutory,
express or implied) are expressly excluded, including, but not limited to, any implied
warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Trade Me makes
no representation or warranty about, and takes no responsibility or liability for,
the quality or suitability of any accommodation, product or service featured on
- Exclusion and Limitation of liability: Trade Me is not liable under
any circumstances (including, but not limited to, negligence) for any direct or
indirect loss or damage (including, but not limited to, general, consequential,
special or incidental loss or damages, loss of profits or loss of savings) suffered
by you or anyone else arising from the direct or indirect use of the Website or
the Services or from the use of, or inability to use, any accommodation, product
or service booked or purchased using the Website or the Services, even if Trade
Me has been advised of the possibility of such loss or damages. In any event, if,
notwithstanding these terms and conditions, Trade Me is held liable then Trade Me's
total liability to you and those claiming through you under any and all causes of
action, whether in contract, tort or otherwise, shall not exceed the amount paid
by you, if any, for using the Website.
- Trade Me will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure the availability of the Website
and the Services, subject to any downtime required for maintenance. However, Trade
Me takes no responsibility for any system unavailability, or for any loss or damage
that is suffered as a result of the Website or Services being unavailable for any
reason. Trade Me does not warrant that the Website or the Services will be uninterrupted
or error-free, or that the Website will be free from viruses or other harmful content.
Further, Trade Me is not responsible or liable for the corruption of any data or
information submitted via the Website or held by Trade Me.
- None of these terms limit your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
Payment, Fees and Charges
- Trade Me receives non-refundable payments from Operators for providing the Services.
Trade Me may also charge a booking fee for providing the Services. These fees and
charges will not be refunded to you if you cancel a confirmed booking or claim a
refund from the Operator of accommodation, products or services booked using the
Website (directly or via the Helpline) except in exceptional circumstances, such
as where the Operator cancels a confirmed booking.
- If you have elected to purchase additional advertising features (such as the ‘make
an enquiry’ feature), you must pay with a valid credit card. You authorise Trade
Me to charge your credit card for such amounts on a monthly or annual basis, depending
on your chosen preference. Your credit card will continue to be charged until you
terminate use of the selected additional feature. If Trade Me is unable to effect
automatic payment via your credit card, you will be notified via email and your
advertising feature will be disabled until payment is received. We use Chargify
to process our recurring billing service.
- Trade Me reserves the right to change at any time the fees charged for any of our
Services or the manner in which they are charged, imposed or collected. If we launch
a new service, the charges for that service will be effective at the launch of that
service unless otherwise stated.
- All fees are inclusive of New Zealand GST and in New Zealand dollars, unless otherwise
Changes, Cancellations and Refunds
- Cancellation policies are specific to each Operator and are detailed on the payment
confirmation page prior to final booking confirmation. A non-refundable fee of NZD$20
applies to all cancellations regardless of the supplier's cancellation policy. Where
you are entitled to a refund, the refund will be made to the same credit card that
you used to confirm the booking.
- Please contact the Operator directly to discuss any desired cancellations, changes
or refunds. Additional charges, or a refund, may apply depending on the nature of
the booking amendment.
- If you make a booking using a discount code, you will not be able to use that discount code on any subsequent booking amendment.
Amendments will be made using the normal price of the product being amended.
- If you make a booking using a discount code, you will not be able to use that discount code on any subsequent booking amendment. Amendments will be made using the normal price of the product being amended.
- If you are issued a reward discount code after completing a booking, the reward discount code will only be successfully applied to your next booking if your first booking is still confirmed.
- If you purchase a Travelbug voucher you are pre-paying for the right to purchase accommodation in New Zealand, on this Website, up to the value available on the voucher.
- The unique voucher number must be entered at the point of purchase on the Travelbug Website. The voucher amount will be deducted from the total to pay.
- The voucher must be used for one transaction only. In the event the accommodation amount is less than the voucher value, any remaining voucher balance will be forfeited and no change will be given.
- The voucher lasts for 12 months from the date of issue. The expiry date is clearly marked on the voucher. Unused voucher amounts will be forfeited on expiry.
- Vouchers cannot be redeemed for cash.
- You may only submit a comment on Travelbug if you have booked that property on Travelbug
- Only one comment is allowed per travelling party
- Comments you submit to the Website about Operators must be true in all respects and
be based only on your own experience with that Operator.
- Comments you submit to the Website must not be offensive, defamatory, unlawful,
misleading or deceptive.
- The Comment facility on the Website may not be used to promote any commercial or
business activity. If you own or are employed by an Operator, you must not post comments
about that Operator.
- Operators may place a reply to comments left on their listing page, and their replies
must adhere to these terms and conditions.
- Trade Me is not responsible for any of the opinions expressed in the Comment facility.
By posting a comment you agree to take full legal responsibility and liability for your
comments and to indemnify Trade Me from all liability, loss, damages, costs or expenses
suffered by Trade Me in connection with your comment.
- Trade Me reserves the right to remove any comments that it considers inappropriate, inflammatory or in breach of these terms and conditions, or where Trade Me considers it appropriate to remove them.
- Comments submitted to the Website are provided for the sole purpose of facilitating the
operation of the Website and the Services. You must not market or export any comments on
the Website to any other venue or website.
- Governing Law: These terms and conditions are governed by the laws
of New Zealand. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of New
- Intellectual Property Rights: Trade Me (and its licensors or suppliers,
as the case may be) owns all intellectual property rights in the Website and the
Services (including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, icons and sound
recordings) and the software and other material underlying and forming part of the
Services and the Website. TRAVELBUG is a trade mark of Trade Me Limited. You may
not without our prior written permission, in any form or by any means:
- Adapt, reproduce, copy, store, distribute, print, display, perform, publish, transmit
or create adaptations from any part of the Website or its contents; or
- Commercialise, copy, or on-sell any information, or items obtained from any part
of the Website or its contents.
- not to use any software, process or device to copy, collect or harvest data or other
content from the Website;
- not to decompile, reverse-engineer, disassemble or otherwise deal with any software
underlying or forming part of the Services or the Website; and
- not to do anything or take any action that imposes an unreasonable burden on Trade
Me's computer systems.
- Waiver and Severability: Trade Me will not be deemed to have waived
any right under these terms and conditions unless the waiver is in writing and signed
by Trade Me. Any unlawful or voidable provision in these terms and conditions shall
be read down so as to be valid and enforceable or, if it cannot be read down, will
be severed without affecting the validity, legality or enforceability of the remaining
- Headings: The headings used in these terms and conditions are included
for convenience only and do not affect or limit these terms and conditions.
- Privacy: Trade Me collects personal information about you through
your use of the Services and the Website, including:
- your contact details; and
- information relating to your use of the Website and the content you access.
You agree that Trade Me may use this personal information to assist Trade Me to
provide the Services to you, for internal research purposes, to verify your identity,
for promoting and marketing other Trade Me products and services to you, and for
any other use that you authorise.
Trade Me will provide Operators with the information required to facilitate a booking
that you make through the Travelbug site.
Trade Me uses the BookIt system in order to provide you with the Travelbug site.
View the BookIt Terms and Conditions.
Trade Me will not sell or allow third parties to access your personal information
without your consent. Trade Me releases account and other personal information only
when it believes release is appropriate to comply with the law, to facilitate court
proceedings, to enforce or apply Trade Me's terms and conditions or protect the
rights, property, or safety of Trade Me, its website users, its members or others.